Application period: February 24 – March 24, 2023
Title: Operations Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: 32-40 hours/week (your choice)
Starting Salary: $23-24 / hour, depending on experience
Benefits: Medical & dental insurance, 401(k) match, paid vacation/sick leave/10 holidays
WHO WE ARE
The Johnson Creek Watershed Council—JCWC—is a community of staff, board and volunteers committed to restoring Johnson Creek and its watershed. As a community organization, we accomplish our restoration by working and developing relationships with a diverse community. We embrace the principles of equity and inclusion in our work. Our staff currently numbers 7, our Board 12. The Johnson Creek Watershed Council was founded in 1995.
The staff currently consists of an Executive Director, a Volunteer Program Manager, a Riparian Program Manager, a Restoration Project Manager, a Community Outreach Coordinator, a Finance & Operations Manager, and an Americorps member. The Operations Manager is a new position. If hired, you will work with all staff, but most closely with the Finance Manager and Executive Director.
The Council’s offices are located in the Woodstock neighborhood of Southeast Portland. We currently operate with a hybrid work environment, splitting our time between the Council and home offices.
The Operations Manager will have two roles: leading the development and management of our website, database system (Salesforce), and IT strategy; and assisting the Finance Manager with grant management and our accounting system (Quickbooks).
We encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ people, religious minorities, immigrants, and differently abled people to apply. Our office is on the second floor and is not ADA-accessible. We are open to reasonable accommodations to adapt for this.
The Johnson Creek Watershed is located on the east side of the greater Portland metropolitan region and is one of the most racially and ethnically diverse watersheds in Oregon. JCWC is committed to learning from and extending the benefits of our work to marginalized communities in our watershed. The successful candidate for this position will help JCWC achieve this goal.
Johnson Creek originates in Clackamas County and flows westward 26 miles to its confluence with the Willamette River in the City of Milwaukie. It provides habitat for threatened coho and chinook salmon, steelhead, and two species of lamprey. The Johnson Creek Watershed encompasses about 54 square miles. The drainage basin includes several partner jurisdictions including Portland, Milwaukie, Happy Valley, Gresham, Multnomah and Clackamas Counties, and also the Clackamas Soil and Water Conservation District and the East Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District.
WHO YOU ARE
You enjoy working on a variety of projects that are essential to keep a non-profit organization running smoothly. You enjoy working in a team environment with a talented staff, an active board, and a diverse group of volunteers to protect and restore one of the most densely populated watersheds in the state of Oregon. You have a commitment to equity, environmental justice, science-based restoration, and climate-forward ecological resilience.
The Operations Manager manages and improves our organizational infrastructure working with our entire staff team in a number of areas.
Areas of Responsibility (to include but not limited to)
- Website & Infrastructure Management (30%) Update information on the organizational website and manage our upcoming website change to a new platform, maintain our IT and phone infrastructure through contracted services, manage office facility needs.
- Accounting and Financial (25%) Works with the Finance Manager to enter financial data into and retrieve data from Quickbooks.
- Grant & Contract Management and Reporting (20%) Track and write reports for grants and contracts.
- Database (15%) Work with the staff outreach team to maintain our Salesforce database, including developing linkages to other applications and sharing data input with other staff.
- Fundraising Support (10%) Assist Executive Director and other staff in our annual fundraising appeal and fundraising events.
This is a multi-faceted position and requires a variety of knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs). Because of this, we recognize that we may not find a single individual with all the desired KSAs. If you have several of these, please apply for this position. Although we are an environmental non-profit organization, a background in environmental science is not needed for this job.
We are interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for the role.
- Knowledge and desire to support diversity, equity, and inclusion in the community.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, results-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task and to work in a team.
- Willing and able to work an occasional weekend and evening (comp time given to maintain work/life balance).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional skills, including work planning, team building, time management and organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, or a related field OR two years of relevant paid job experience.
- A total of at least three years of paid job experience relevant to this job description.
And at least three of the following:
- Experience managing grants and contracts
- Experience with Quickbooks
- Experience in website management/design.
- Experience with Excel and/or Google Sheets
- Experience with Salesforce or an equivalent database
The Operations Manager must have a valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and ability to provide documentation. Ability and willingness to use their own vehicle to travel to work activities is essential (mileage reimbursement is provided by JCWC). JCWC owns a vehicle which is shared with other staff members and may not always be available. The Operations Manager will be covered on the JCWC’s vehicle insurance policy while driving the company vehicle.
Send by email a resume and a detailed cover letter as a single PDF attachment that addresses required and desired qualifications, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position closes at 9 a.m. Pacific time, March 24, 2023.
No phone calls, please.