Cat Mead

Date of volunteer work: 02/28/2016.
Site Name: Johnson Creek Park.
Number of hours worked: 2.
Species removed: blackberry and clematis.
Estimated percent cover before removal20-50%.
Approximate square feet of invasives removed150 / 50.

Cleared blackberry (mostly) mixed with clematis off of what turned out to be a fairly large rose bush, then cleared blackberry/clematis off several much smaller roses and sapling trees (couldn’t tell species) in the same area. Pulling up some blackberry that is newly rooted made it really obvious that cutting blackberry vines at the end of the growing season is really important, because it doesn’t take long for those growing tips to create pretty sturdy new root systems (I pulled up a bunch – in other places – over the winter while the new roots were small and easy to get out).

Other observations: The patch of wild cucumber near the parking area is up already, with quite a bit of growth. Several trees and shrubs are starting to flower, or even a bit past. The salmon berry is just starting to flower; only saw one bush with open blossoms on it.

Birds seen and/or heard: mallards, geese, kingfisher, Bewick’s wren, hummingbird, crows, song sparrow

Salmon berry blossom
Salmon berry blossom
Wasp sheltering under young salmon berry leaves
Wasp sheltering under young salmon berry leaves
The wild cucumber is up!
The wild cucumber is up!
Area I cut down/pulled blackberry and clematis
Area I cut down/pulled blackberry and clematis
Scroll to Top
Our Watershed Wide Event is Coming! March 2nd, 8:45-12noon
This is default text for notification bar